Monday, June 18, 2012

Sometimes moms need timeouts too.

B was out of town a few weeks ago and it was a long day.  School, playground after school, homework, dinner, baseball practice and showers.  I THOUGHT the boys would be exhusted, I know I was.  I give HUGE kudos to single parents.  I don't know how they do it?  I am VERY fortunate to have my husband.  I couldn't ask for a better partner or parent to our boys.  When he is gone, it's almost like a little light bulb goes on, in the boys heads, and they feel the need to go ape shit crazy.  Last night was one of those nights.  No one wanted to go to bed, no one wanted to listen, everything I told them to do, they did the exact opposite. I lost it.  I put them all to bed, no books, no snacks, no water.....straight to bed.  Looking back, that probably did not help things.  That 20 minutes, before bedtime, of calming down, sitting together, reading, saying prayers, etc., sets the mood for them, to just go to sleep.  I did apologize to O and H, I felt bad, but at the same time, they need to realize that what I say goes...will they ever realize this?  If you haven't heard of the book, "Go The F To Sleep", I highly recommend that you find it and read it. I read it last night, after the calmness set in at my house (with a glass of wine), and I felt more normal.  Sometimes moms/dads need timeouts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment